Saturday, June 23, 2012

Next Week: Drywall!

The last couple of weeks have been full of activity and progress.  Our PM sounded a bit surprised and happy to tell us that things are actually ahead of schedule, with one exception:  bricks.  The city in which the house is being built requires the entire exterior to be complete prior to drywall.  That includes the brick.  Because the brick subcontractors are way behind and unable to work on the house before next week or the week thereafter, our PM was concerned that their delay would bring the construction process to a screeching hault.  However, he was crafty and got approval from the city to go ahead and wrap the front of the house with the material that goes between the wall and the brick and so long as that passed inspection, we could move forward without waiting on the actual brick.  Apparently everything went well during the inspection because they are starting drywall sometime next week.  We stopped by the house today and everything looks amazing.  Electric is done, guardian did their stuff, and the guys were wrapping up insulation today.  Looking forward now to Monday's pre-drywall walkthrough and to see how things progress next week.

Also noteworthy is how cool it is to see the neighborhood progress.  There was one house that started two weeks before ours and another that started about two weeks after.  The neighborhing house, a Yorkshire Elevation F, started framing this week and it looks like they might have a roof on Monday.  And there is one more lot that looks like ground was broken on this week (also a Yorkshire).  Pretty cool.

Front of house with wrap awaiting brick installation.

I took this to show the space between our house and the neighbors' house - love the lot size.

Originally we all thought a beige siding would look best, but ended up choosing this dark gray and have been nervous ever since.  But now that it's on, it has really grown on us.


Looking out toward the future dog yard and side of house with study bay window.  The 2nd egress window will also be right there below the family room windows.

People Yard

A glimpse of what the siding looks like with the brick

Direct set staircase.


Neighboring house and the one that's 2 weeks ahead of us in the distance.

10 comments:

  1. Looks GORGEOUS! We also chose a gray siding but it's light gray. It's called Georgian Gray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think ours is Georgian Gray, too. Our other option was silver must, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure? I know for a fact that we chose Georgian Gray and the picture I have of the sample looks much lighter than this. Either way, your siding looks great!

    Here's the link to the post about our selections. Check out the picture I took of the siding sample and tell me what you think: buildingouryorkshire.blogspot.com/p/our-selections.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, that does look much lighter than ours. I'll double check our paperwork and let you know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could just be the lighting from when I took it. I know it's at least a little darker than the picture. I was just saying earlier that I wished I could find another blogger with the same siding as me! I hope it's the same because yours looks great! What are the chances we would build the same house and pick the same siding?!?! Which brick did you choose?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our brick is prairie creek

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, found it. It's graphite gray.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your house is so beautiful! The siding is very pretty and combines well with the brick. They used to offer that color in our community; they have since changed it to Stone Mountain Clay which I could not get because the neighbor next door has it. They do not allow house to either left or right of you to be the same color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fantastic. Love the gray siding! We wanted graphite gray but a nearby house had it already, so we had to go with the georgian gray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone! It is so reassuring to see our selections in place and actually like them. Choosing an entire house-worth of selections based on teeny tiny samples is rough! I hope you all love your choices as much as we are loving ours so far!!!

    ReplyDelete